Thursday, January 18, 2007

an enormous nibble


Well, the nibble itself wasn't enormous -- in fact, it was so tiny, I'm not sure he actually tasted what he nibbled. But the fact of the matter is that Jacob actually took a bite of something new today! And for him, that's just ENORMOUS!

He didn't want to. In fact, you'd think I was asking him to take a nice big mouthful of toxic waste from the look on his face when I asked him if he wanted to taste the Sun Chip I was munching on. But I kept after him. And instead of screaming and running for the other room, he started to look a little curious about it. He finally took a chip from me, eyed is suspiciously, then took a crumb from a corner in his teeth and pulled it off. He immediately gave me a look of great disgust, and I launched his water bottle at him so that he could rinse the offensive taste down, and followed up quickly with a couple of M&Ms (which he was simply delighted to receive). I said "see, you did it!" and told him that I was REALLY proud of him trying that Sun Chip. When The Map Man gets home tonight, I'll bring the topic up again, and hopefully it will be with a sense of pride that he shares his big eating adventure with his father. If not, then I guess we just weren't ready for this sort of thing yet. Either way, it was worth a shot.

Maybe by the time I'm ready to systematically deal with the whole eating thing, it'll have already taken care of itself. That's the nice thing about RDI -- it's made me feel so successful, that I actually dare to dream the big dreams.

3 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This eating thing is a bummer.My little munchkin has gotten much better but a few months ago his entire repetoire consisted of a few crackers,cheerios and baby chicken and apples.
With a litlle ABA and much struggles and shuddering he is now reluctantly eating chicken nuggets and real appple pieces.
This is one thing that is such a mystery. Maybe it is sensory as everyone seems to think but I just don't know.

 
At 3:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just cannot get my boy to eat anything other than bread, yoghurt, apples, ham and sausages.

On the other hand, my non-autistic 7 year old also only ate about that many different things when she was that age, and still is the pickiest fussiest eater. Mealtimes are not my favourite time of the day. Actually, scratch that. Preparing and planning meals is my least favourite time of the day.

Thank you so much for your wonderful blog. Never stop!

 
At 11:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY! RIGHT ON, JACOB!!! that is THRILLING news! i am doing a little dance around my computer as i type!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home